Nuffnang Ads

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Dennis Valdez Photography: The Marie Antoinette Series

Yesterday, I made a promise to blog a friend’s art pieces. Although he told me to do it with pay, I insisted to do it for free. “What are friends for?”, I told him. Besides, I am not a professional writer. Just like our former dean always told us during lectures (Dennis used to mimic this), “I just would like to UNDERSCORE…”

So I just would like to underscore that I am not a professional writer (or a connoisseur for that matter). But I cannot keep myself from commenting positively on the photos I have seen posted on the page of my friend, Dennis Valdez.

To tell you the truth, I never would have known that he has talents at photography. For one, he never mentioned it before. Most of our conversations centered on our common friends, the movies we saw, the instructors we didn’t like (hahaha!), and everything else trivial and mundane. So imagine my surprise when I saw his shots.

Enough of my prelude…Let’s get down to the reason why this blog was created in the first place.

This is for Dennis Valdez.

He is a London-based photographer, by the way. Initially, photography for him was just a hobby and now, inevitably, is becoming a moneymaker (laughs). He got talents, that’s why!

His style of shoots includes a long stretch of adult, alternative, beauty, body paint, bondage, commercial, erotic, fashion, fetish, fitness, glamour, landscape, lifestyle, lingerie, nude, pinup, portrait, promotional, sheer, swimwear, topless and wedding. He works with pay or trade, whatever he means by that (You just have to ask him about this when you do business with him). How convenient it is to work with him as he is willing to travel per request just so you could have that important moment of your life be immortalized by his camera. Furthermore, he also has this talent in photo editing which you will find advantageous if you want something omitted or enhanced in your photos.

So here is a glimpse of the four photos I put two thumbs up upon seeing.  Two of which I got from the theme, Marie Antoinette (will post the other two later on a separate blog).

Marie Antoinette was a former Queen of France. I'm sure Wikipedia has a lot to say about what happened during her era but let’s just leave History be history for now, alright? We don’t wanna doze off here (assuming you also hate History). My concern is this photo.


I like how the lush greens were captured in this photo (Trust Dennis to select a venue that jibes with the theme, and his ability to zoom in and out for highlights). This model Marie Antoinette, although her gown is simpler as compared to the flash-and-panache clothing common to the 18th century, still looks so regal you could imagine men offering promises to her feet. The tilt of her head, the innocence of her eyes, and the lusciousness of her lips are all perfect. (Was every move of the model done according to your instruction, Mr. Photographer? This photo is just so, so nice!) Her beauty is so ethereal it made me envious.


Was Marie Antoinette sad or regretful of something here? It looks like she was in this photo. A long lost love maybe? Or was she just burdened by duties/obligations demanded of her as a queen? Whatever she was feeling or thinking at this moment, we could only guess. It’s just so amazing how one could capture numerous emotions in just a single shot. A picture could paint a thousand words, indeed (Good job, Dennis! I like how you played with lighting here to create this serene effect). Looking at this photo, I feel like I want to time-travel back to this era. It would have been really great to be sharing a cup of tea while I and Queen Marie are having a tête-a-tête. Interestingly, I have read on Dennis's page that this queen was stripped of her riches and finery, imprisoned, and beheaded during the 18th century French Revolution. With such an interesting fact, I might read history later, after all. :)

For more photos of beauty and wonder, feel free to visit http://purpleport.com/portfolio/Dennis/?referrer=Dennis. Thank you for viewing. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment